The cold winter weather may seem comfortable to enjoy a hot cup of coffee in front of a fireplace. However, once the snow in front of your house starts freezing, you become helpless. You think of different ways to thaw frozen ground so that you can at least go out. The best way to get rid of the ice in front of your house is to use hydronic heating to melt the snow slowly.
How does hydronic heating work?
Hydronic heating consists of multiple heating hoses that you need to install at strategic places to thaw the frozen ground. HTF or warm liquid passes through the heating hoses within an enclosed system. The heat that emits from the hoses ensures that the ground is warm enough to melt the snow. These hoses come with insulation mats to prevent heat loss. It depends on the amount of snow you are dealing with and the capacity of the hydronic heating system that decides how quickly the snow melts.
Things to remember while using a hydronic heating system
You may have various questions in mind before using a hydronic heating system for the first time. Here are some of the instructions that you should remember to use it properly:
● You won’t have to remove the loose snow before you start thawing the ground. The snow that you see on top of the frozen ground actually increases the hydronic system’s thawing rate. This happens because the snow melts down into the ground and immediately heats up. As a result, the ground gets thawed quickly.
● You need to check the boiler and pump capacity of the heating system before you start thawing the ground. Ideally, you should use a hydronic system that has a large pump and at least 100 kW boiler capacity. This would allow your heating system to thaw at least 40 to 80 cm of snow every day.
● The hydronic heating system usually comes with a heating mat (winter mat) that has a unique heat reflection ability. It cuts down heat loss to a great extent when the heating system thaws the ground down. These mats are quite durable and they don’t easily absorb water. You can use the mats multiple times in cycles to thaw the ground slowly and steadily.
Benefits of hydronic heating
Hydronic heating is very effective in thawing frozen ground. Here are a few reasons why you should use this system instead of implementing the traditional ideas of melting snow:
● It is a durable heating system that can last for years. You won’t have to worry about hiring people who would clear the snow away from your home’s front yard.
● These systems are more efficient at thawing the ground than any traditional technique. You can compare the time taken to thaw the ground with hydronic heating with any traditional system you want. The former will take less time to thaw the ground.
● In addition to thawing the ground, a hydronic heating system can also control your home’s humidity. With the moisture level high in winter, you would want your rooms to have as little humidity as possible since you can’t open your doors and windows. Try using the hydronic heating system in different rooms to control the humidity level.
● These systems are much safer compared to starting a fire to melt the snow. You never know if the exposed flames would affect any electrical connection or something that would cause a fire. It’s better to avoid that risk altogether.
Increased efficiency, reduced operating costs, and quick thawing of the ground – a hydronic heating system ticks all these boxes, and that’s why it’s a far better technique than traditional methods to melt snow.